Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Back to School Monday: Whining edition

*Heavy sigh*

Today was the first day of school. The preschool I teach at goes 9-12 this first week, so it's not long ... except when you have a child who doesn't stop crying THE ENTIRE TIME.

Then, as of last Tuesday, I was going to be working Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I'd have three days to myself (for writing, mostly, but also keeping up with housework, grocery shopping alone, okay, so I'd probably only use it for writing). Anyway, by Wednesday, I was working Mondays, too, and today they added Friday. I have no doubt that Wednesdays will be added within the month.

What to do? I could do what my hubby suggested and tell them that I can only work three days. There is another teacher that could pick up Tues/Thurs, but then I might not be able to send youngest on Tues/Thurs, which sort of defeats the purpose of not teaching on those days. Plus, we need the money, pitiful as it is.

My other option is to try to regement my writing time. I could try to do all email/blog/twitter stuff between the end of preschool and picking the older two up from elementary, focus on the house and the kiddos from then until after dinner, and then forego my beloved tv shows for evening writing time.

So, what do you think? When do you find time for writing?

Also, prayers for this kid to get comfortable in school and stop screaming in my ear are greatly appreciated. ;)

Larissa

P.S. Don't forget that I am in desperate need of donations for the FWF Silent Auction. See this post for details.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I so hear you. But take comfort, no matter what schedule you settle down to, by late September, it will have become routine and you'll find your writing time in there. Hang in (and here's hoping screamer-child acclimates soon!) - Stasia (writer and mom-of-four)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! teachers are special beings with more patience than I will ever have. :)
    I've had to forgo those beloved TV shows... all except True Blood on Sunday nights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stasia! You're right, I'll adjust and figure it all out. :)

    Jessie, luckily I don't have HBO, so I haven't gotten addicted to True Blood. Every time I try to limit my tv, I still end up with a list of five shows I HAVE to watch (Bones, Lie To Me, Psych, SYTYCD, Covert Affairs, currently). I may just have to watch them on the computer or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larissa, I teach kindergarten daily. I'm home by 1, so that's my writing time 1-3:15, take away 45 min on the 2 or 3 days I get outside to walk. I also write at night when the kids go to bed. So I try to leave my writing at a spot in the story I just have to get back to, so then it's easy to sit down at the computer at night instead of the TV. Works well for me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Larissa! Sound like quite a day! I hope the kiddo settles in . . . I work full time, but still find time to write in the evenings and weekends. Every once in a while I might even get "sick" and stay home to write. TV sucks away a lot of time from my writing as well. Hope your week gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. school already? we start on the 23rd - which is even early for us.

    thanks for the b-day wishes and i hope you win my contest!

    ReplyDelete