Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Seriously, Paramount?

I went to a movie recently and was excited to see a semi-preview for Avatar: The Last Airbender, the movie. If you aren't familiar with it, go here. My son started watching this show, and I found myself getting caught up in it. Great graphics, great story. I thought, Oooh, this oughta be great as a movie! The trailer was pretty generic, showing more effects and cinematic views than characters, so I didn't realize it had been whitewashed until today.

I came across Moonrat's post titled whitewashing The Last Airbender, which pointed me to Ellen Oh's blog post Whitewashing is Racist. After which, in tears, I followed links to sign a petition boycotting the movie.

Please, go read Ellen's post. And pass it on.

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, this kind of stuff just makes me sick. I just don't get it! We definitely won't be seeing that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this! I think the cartoon is wonderful and I was really excited about the movie. So frustrating...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Larissa! If only we can make Hollywood realize that this can't go on anymore. That's what I'm hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ellen, for your moving words and for bringing this to my attention.

    Hi, LiLa and Melissa! I know. I can hardly believe it, it's so ridiculous. And sad. And enraging. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larissa, just followed the link here from Verla Kay's ... I've been reading about the YA book cover whitewashing stuff, but didn't know about the movie. It's outrageous, whatever form it takes. On a happier note, I like your blog!
    --Ruth (from critique group)

    ReplyDelete